Monday, October 27, 2008

Study, Food, and Fun

This week I saw several events for students here at LNU. First, I was interviewed by a trio of tri-lingual hosts for a talk show on the student radio station. Then I stopped by the library to return some books and saw students hard at work early on Sunday morning. Dormitory life is crowded and difficult by American standards. The students sleep eight to a room and many of the older buildings have no hot water, so the students walk for several blocks to newer dorms where they can shower. That's why the library is always so crowded. Then I attended the CCTV English Speaking Contest. Thirty contestants gave a prepared speech, an impromptu speech, and answered questions from the judges. Participants came from universities all over northwest China. The winner of our regional contest goes on to Beijing for the finals. Finally, I watched some fiercely competitive basketball. Just who are those guys anyway?

On one of my walks, I came across a small group of older amateur musicians playing traditional Chinese music to celebrate the grand opening of a restaurant. I joined a small appreciative crowd to listen to the music -- a single piece that lasted about 20 minutes. On a barely related topic, this also seems to be National Dry Your Winter Vegetables Week. I'll ask my students to explain what's going on and report back to you.

No comments: